Who are we?
Jozini Local Municipality is one of the four municipalities within uMkhanyakude District Municipality. It is located in the northern region of KwaZulu–Natal, and is bordered by Mozambique to the north, Swaziland to the west, uMhlabuyalingana to the east, Big Five/Hlabisa to the south and Nongoma and Uphongolo to the west. It consists of 6 semi-formalized towns viz:
- and Ndumo.
The remaining parts of the municipality are characterized as being rural in nature. Jozini Municipality covers 32% (3057 Square Kilometres) of the total area of 13859 Square Kilometres of uMkhanyakude District Municipality.
The primary investment points are Mkhuze and Jozini; secondary investment points have been identified at Ingwavuma, UBombo, Ndumo and Bhambanana and tertiary investment points have been identified at Ophansi, Manyiseni, Makwakwa, Emabhanoyini, Makhonyeni. These investment points are seen as the existing and future growth points in the municipal area and serve as the basis for the clustering of activities and services such as schools, shops, community halls, etc.
The municipal area is well served by major movement routes, inter-alia national link (N2), R22 that links Jozini to Manguzi in the uMhlabuyalingana Municipality and the 522-1 which extends from uBombo in the south to Ingwavuma in the north. Jozini local municipality is divided into twenty-three (23) wards. The large area of Jozini falls under the ownership of Ingonyama Trust and some areas are privately owned by individuals whilst a small portion is owned by the State. The current state of land ownership makes it difficult for the municipality to control development in areas under its jurisdiction.
Jozini has a comparative advantage in terms of its favorable location near the N2 and its abundant natural features, which are potential tourism assets. Tourism has been prioritized as the major economic development opportunity and its success is dependent on local community initiatives as well as the natural beauty of the surrounding landscape.
There is inherent potential for tourism in the many cultural, natural and historical sites, among them :
- Dingaan’s Grave and Border Cave (Historical),
- Lebombo Mountains,
- Mkuze and Ndumo Game Reserve,
- Hlathikhulu Forest and Usuthu Gorge (Natural)
- and Jozini Bridge as a man-made attraction.
Long Term Vision & Goals
A municipality with sustainable services, thriving socio-economic development and good governance for all.
- To strengthen democracy, public participation and stakeholder management.
- To manage financial resources of the municipality efficiently, effectively and economically.
- To grow the economy of the bedrock of agriculture and tourism by creating a conducive environment for investment.
The municipality will strive to realize the following priorities during the 2022/23 financial year:
- Job creation
- Improvement of access roads from gravel to tar
- Improvement of socio-economic structures e.g., market stalls and agricultural projects
- Establishment of sustainable income generating infrastructure projects
- Development of a strategically positioned sportsfield that will attract televised games to be hosted in Jozini
- Development of market stalls in strategic locations
- Establishment of a fully-fledged licensing office
- Identification of strategic points that would be most suitable for developing mini shops to address congestion in Jozini central/ town
- Development of feeding lots and do away with the existing livestock pound
- Explore tourism withing the municipal area
- Move away from poverty alleviation projects to cluster projects by commodity e.g., poultry, piggery, etc
- Stormwater control
- All 23 wards must have Councillor Offices and Personal assistants (these offices must have free wi-fi open to the public), In absence of infrastructure community halls may be used
- Annual soccer tournament to rejuvenate sports
- Annual festival for Ingoma, maskanda, scathamiya, gospel and Shembe umgidi
- Disaster management satellites
- Higher learning students’ registration programme
- Amakhosi to make land available for proposed developments in their area of jurisdiction
- Facilitation of a process of attraction of investors for anchor projects.